What is the best microcontroller and programming language?
FAMILIES to learn: for my digital portal, list all digital chip families and types
Compare: Target audience, languages available, free compiler?, development board, cost of module.
digital electronic devices table:
- Compilers and assemblers
- other available languages
- number of boards
- number of books
- amount of support (code and forums)
- ARM. Sitara ARM Processor, Beagle. ARM express family from Coridium.
- Basic Stamp
- Arduino (Based on Atmel AVR)
- PIC with Configurable Logic Cell (CLC) hybrid
- For Single Board Computer (SBC): BeagleBoard, Gumstix,Raspberry Pi
- AVR (AT series). Arduino.
- LatticeMico8 (soft embedded)
- stay away from Make Controller Kit (nothing about it is standard)
- Microchip PIC
- Basic Stamp 2
- Make controller
- Basic ATOM
- BASIC Stamp
- ARM express
- BASIC Stamp
- C Stamp
- [Atmel AVR]
- ARM processors (from many vendors) using ARM7 or Cortex-M3 cores are generally microcontrollers
- Atmel AVR (8-bit), AVR32 (32-bit), and AT91SAM (32-bit)
- Microchip PIC (8-bit PIC16, PIC18, 16-bit dsPIC33 / PIC24)
- AT90, ATtiny, ATmega, ATxmega series (AVR architecture) (Atmel Norway design)
- AVR32 (32-bit AVR architecture) (Atmel Norway design)
Microchip produces microcontrollers with 3 very different architectures:
- PIC10 and PIC12: 12-bit instruction words
- PIC16 series: 14-bit instruction words, one address pointer ("indirect register pair")
- PIC18 series: 16-bit instruction words, three address pointers ("indirect register pairs")
16-bit (16-bit data bus) microcontrollers, with 16 general-purpose registers (each 16-bit)
- PIC24: 24-bit instruction words
- dsPIC: based on PIC24, plus DSP functions, such as a single-cycle MAC (multiply–accumulate) into two 40-bit accumulators.
32-bit (32-bit data bus) microcontrollers: